Monday, April 23, 2012

Sorely, Departed



You know that voice inside your head that tells you it's okay to sleep in? That chips are derived of potatoes, ensuring their status as vegetables? Oh, and that one (more) doughnut won't kill you?

Loudly & clearly today, that voice said riding to work was gonna suck, and life would be so much easier if I went back inside and made some coffee.

I paused to consider this partial truth, but instead got my bike out and hopped on.

It was a bit chilly this morning, 5 degrees, cloudy, but virtually no wind, so the ride should have been a non-event. Apparently my calves and ass did NOT get the memo because they were screaming before I even hit the end of my street. Yesterday's ride, the first of the season, had created an unexpected hangover.

So, seconds before I hit the first intersection I pause, coast, and begin listening anew to 'that voice' that would see me turn around for the comfort of fresh coffee and a hot shower. It would have been so easy...

I can't claim epiphany or moral victory or even that the voice in my head shut up. Nothing drove me to keep going, nothing. In fact, I felt more a sense of resignation than grim determination but I did keep going. Eventually the voice was drowned out by the sound of my pedalling and wheezing. I suppose there is some lesson here but who knows how strong the voice will be if it's windy or rainy?

Stupid voice.


Anyway, I made it, again in about 48 minutes and traffic was manageable. I have 8-9 hours to recover before I ride home, which is good because I will need it. Right now, my ass and I are seriously considering throwing out this work chair in favour of an exercise ball to sit on...

No comments:

Post a Comment