Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Out With The Old


I sold my old bike last weekend. 'Old' really isn't a fair description as I actually owned it for less than two years. I'm not a bike snob and there was really nothing wrong with it but...we just didn't bond.

Weird, I know.

I can commit however. The bike before that, I had purchased on sale from a now-defunct sporting goods store and it served me well for 16 years without so much as a flat tire. I actually went off-road with it. Good bike.

But the bike I just sold was purchased quickly and mainly based on price. As is often the case, I got exactly what I paid for.

It was a department store bike, not poorly made but nothing that inspired confidence. Not poorly assembled either but it still seemed to rattle and shift poorly, I couldn't position the handlebars the way I liked and the seat (though a fairly fetching number, decked out in red trim) was never comfortable. Every pot hole and bump prompted a grimace and in time, I'm certain, internal hemorrhage. After less than two full seasons, I shipped it out knowing that if I didn't love it, it wouldn't love me.

Kijiji-bound, it seemed rather Christine-like in it's final few days; menacing somehow, despite it's stasis.





No comments:

Post a Comment